Google on Monday announced it is shutting down a major feature of its struggling social network.
Following the launch of its new Photos service in May, the Web giant is bidding adieu to Google+ Photos on Aug. 1. The service will go away first on Android before it's wiped from the Web and iOS.
Google said the move is aimed at ensuring that "everyone has the best photos experience we can deliver."
The company encouraged people still using Google+ Photos to make the switch. If you haven't already, you will soon see a prompt in Google+ Photos on Android with a link to download the new Photos app.
"Don't worry, all your photos and videos will still be saved and available after you switch to the new, standalone Google Photos app," Google said. "With the new app you'll still be able to back up, edit, and share your photos and videos, with unlimited storage, automatic organization, and more."
If you don't update to Photos, Google+ Photos on Android will soon stop working but your images and videos will "remain safely stored and available" via photos.google.com or for export using Google Takeout.
Google Photos offers unlimited free storage for photos up to 16 megapixels and high-definition video up to 1080p.
The service has had a somewhat bumpy rollout, though. First, Google earlier this month was forced to apologize after the service automatically tagged two black people as gorillas. Then, users freaked out after noticing that the app will continue to back up your photos even after it's been uninstalled.